On the evening of Mia’s 7th birthday we took the kids down to Pearl Street and decided to get some treats. We ventured into Fior di Latte and they had quite an impressive selection of gluten & dairy free options, one of which was a Vegan Golden Milk Ice Cream.
If you are unfamiliar with Golden Milk, you have probably been living under a rock. Just kidding—although that is what I told Roy when he hadn’t heard of it 🙂
Golden Milk has been one of the most written about beverages in the natural health world in the last year. It is a drink made with turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom—herbs that have anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing, and digestion promoting benefits! The pinch of black pepper that is added has been shown to help increase the absorption of turmeric, which is the star of this show!
I wouldn’t quite say that Golden Milk tastes like Chai, but it has a similar feel because they are both spiced beverages. My Golden Milk popsicles have all the benefits of Golden Milk and are a perfect dessert for those that enjoy both sweet and savory.
And alas, given that it is mid-September this will likely be my final popsicle creation until next Spring, so I hope you enjoy!
Golden Milk Popsicles
by Debbie Steinbock
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1” piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into dime size pieces
¼ cup plus 1 heaping tsp raw honey
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp cardamom powder
½ tsp sea salt
tiny pinch of black pepper
13 oz can coconut cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add the unsweetened almond milk and ginger slices and simmer (do not boil) for about 5 minutes or until the flavor of the ginger has infused the almond milk; strain and remove the pieces of ginger and discard.
- Add the raw honey, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, sea salt, and pepper to the almond milk and continue to simmer for another 1-2 minutes or until the honey is completely dissolved. Set the saucepan aside for 5-10 minutes until it has cooled.
- Lastly, add the can of coconut cream to a vitamix or other high powered blender, then add the cooled spiced almond milk mixture (and vanilla extract, if you choose) and puree together until well combined.
- Pour the golden milk mixture into popsicle molds.
- Place in freezer until set.
- To remove you may need to run warm water on the mold for a few seconds. Enjoy!