In our last post we discussed 10 strategies for sound sleep. In this post we would like to talk about the comfort & safety of your body when you sleep.
We all know how essential comfortable sleep is. Have you ever left home for a wonderful vacation, only to discover that the bed where you are staying isn’t very cozy!? You toss and turn. You are hot. The night feels like it goes on forever. You get out of bed in the morning and your back and hips ache. You go through the day feeling exhausted!
Good sleep is so vital—and all it takes is one or two rough nights to remind us of this! One of the most important considerations for restorative sleep is your mattress—the place you rest your body each night.
When we were shopping for a new mattress, we had just completed our last home renovation. After spending months researching non-toxic products for our remodel (which we wrote about in the post Healthy Home Improvements), we knew we couldn’t just bring any new mattress into our home.
Mattresses are notorious for being laden with chemicals. Almost all mattresses contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) —fire retardants, preservatives, coatings, and plastics—and mattress companies are not required by law to tell you what they put in their products.
We knew we would buy a non-toxic mattress, but the problem was that the organic mattress we previously purchased (for our oldest daughter) was the heaviest and most uncomfortable mattress we had ever owned!
Organic mattresses are usually made from cotton, wool, latex or some combination of these materials. Many of these beds tend to be very firm and less comfortable, and that was unfortunately our personal experience.
We set out to find a new mattress based on two simple criteria:
1. Safe and non-toxic
2. Extremely comfortable and supportive of our bodies alignment
Let’s first discuss mattress health and safety. Similar to the food industry where the words “natural”, “healthy” or “sustainably-produced” are thrown around without any real meaning behind them, there is a lot of “greenwashing” in the mattress industry as well. Words such as “green” and “eco-friendly” are unregulated terms, often used to make you think that a product is healthier.
If you have done any research on your own, you may already be familiar with the rabbit-hole this can lead you down! To add to the difficulty, we discovered that many non-toxic mattress companies only sell online. Of course, it’s hard to completely trust product reviews—and we found it hard to even consider buying a mattress that we couldn’t lay our bodies on!
In the almost ten-years since we purchased our last mattress, Debbie has been rear-ended three times (insane, right?) and Roy has been in double than that number of mountain bike crashes! So, as you can imagine, we were not willing to compromise on support or comfort.
At the recommendation of a good friend, who is incredibly health conscientious and had recently undergone double hip replacement surgery, we learned about Organix by Intellibed and that is what we purchased.
Why We Chose Our Mattress
In January 2019, we purchased an Organix mattress and we have owned it for over two years now. We have nothing to give it except rave reviews.
Criteria # 1: Mattress Safety
Our mattress is not certified organic but it is completely non-toxic, hypoallergenic and free of chemicals.
We can attest to the fact that from day one, the mattress never had any odor whatsoever. We slept on it the night it arrived, unlike our previous mattress which we had to leave in the garage to off-gas for a few weeks before we brought it into our home (yuck!).
The Organix mattress consists of:
- 100% Organic Cotton Cover Layer – a safe, ultra-soft top layer made of organic cotton; this is the part closet to your body
- Certapur US Certified Foam – additional cushioning for comfort; the cleanest foam on the market with no VOCs
- Gel Matrix® – non-toxic elastic gel columns made from food grade mineral oil; this is where the magic happens 😉
- Coil Spring Unit – pocked spring spring coils individually wrapped and sewn together; no detectable EMFs are produced
These materials have all been tested with a VOC meter to see if there was any off gassing, and the reading was 0.08. A VOC meter reading of 0.10 is considered to be excellent and extremely safe.
All mattresses must be treated with a flame retardant. In our research, we learned that even organic mattresses could have undisclosed flame-retardant chemicals added to them—because mattress companies are not required to disclose all ingredients. Organix uses a silica-based fire blocker with modacrylic fiber which contains no bio-available chemicals. Basically, this is a stretchy fabric that goes on the bed like a sock.
Criteria # 2: Mattress Comfort
We wanted a bed that was firm enough to provide support for our injuries (and aging bodies!) while soft enough to take pressure off and provide comfort. Organix claims that their bed is simultaneously firm and soft, and this is also our experience personally.
The Gel Matrix, which we mentioned above, is a series of gel columns that firmly support and align your spine while collapsing to provide softness to any high-pressure areas, such as shoulders and hips.
The other thing we considered is that Debbie goes to sleep earlier and wakes up earlier than Roy. Each coil spring is individually wrapped in fabric, allowing for low motion transfer when someone comes into or leaves the bed. This is huge for us! Roy crawls into bed at night without disturbing Debbie, while Debbie leaves the bed in the morning without waking Roy. (If only we could teach our pup, Goji, not to jump directly on us in the morning!)
Our Organix bed has met both criteria with flying colors— providing excellent postural support without any harmful chemicals and off-gassing.
Use Promo Code MINDFUL10 & Save up to $1,000
In our recent survey, many of you mentioned that the most helpful information we share is our favorite products and the items we use in our own home.
If you are in the market for a new mattress, we partnered with Organix Bed to bring our community a promotion where you can save up to $1,000 in discounts and bonuses!
By using the code MINDFUL10 you will get:
- 10% off your order
- Free “white glove” delivery & set up
- Free mattress protector
- Free bamboo sheet set
An Important Investment
We know that a mattress is a serious financial investment—and we also believe that it is one of the most important ones that we make.
Purchasing our Organix mattress has been one of the best investments we’ve made in our personal health. We are sleeping more comfortably and waking up feeling more refreshed.
Many of us spend our days caring for our health by feeding our brains and bodies the highest quality nutrients—but we often forget that we spend a third of our lives in bed! Sleeping on our cozy, hypoallergenic, non-toxic mattress has given us the quality of sleep that allows our bodies to repair and regenerate each night.
Watch Our Webinar for More Info
We recently did a webinar with sleep expert Jason Payne. He has been in the sleep industry for 16 years and we met him two-years ago when we purchased our mattresses.
In this webinar, we discuss:
- Various types of mattresses on the market
- How the right mattress can help you get up to 80% more deep sleep
- Why your mattress is the #1 reason you’re able to stay in deep sleep stages, allowing your body to heal and restore itself
- Toxins hiding in mattresses and how they affect your health
- What are volatile organic compounds and why your current mattress may have them
- How a mattress can be both firm and soft
- How long you should keep a mattress
- Our personal sleep experience with Organix by Intellibed
- More details on the special offer for our community
No Time to Watch the Webinar?
Here’s a quick summary of the additional reasons that we chose our Organix mattress. We already addressed how it met our criteria for being non-toxic and chemical free, as well as comfortable and supportive.
In addition, Organix Bed offers a:
- 90-day in-home trial period. They ask that customers try the bed for a minimum of 30 nights before considering a return. It is important to allow sufficient time for your body to adjust to the new sleep surface. Returns are accepted no earlier than 30 days and no later than 90 days of purchase. If you return the bed, they will pay to have the bed shipped back. Your original invoice will show a charge for the mattress protector, the sheets and the original shipping. All those charges are discounted off the price of the mattress, so they are free when you purchase, but if the mattress is returned then those are not refunded (and you get to keep the mattress protector and the sheets).
- 20-year warranty. Most mattresses need to be replaced approximately every 5-7 years. However, the Gel Matrix doesn’t break down by heat, moisture, oxygen or pressure, which breaks down every other bedding component on the market. This means that you don’t end up with a bed that sags and becomes lumpy and uncomfortable after just a few years. In durability testing, the mattresses only softened 4% over it’s lifetime. While we could certainly find a cheaper bed on the market (but not necessarily one that met all our criteria), we looked at the cost over the life of the bed and it breaks down to roughly $200 yearly—which is what many people pay monthly for their cable or cell phone!
We hope all this information, and hearing about our personal experience, saves you a ton of time and research of your own!
If you decide to purchase a new mattress, we hope you love your Organix by Intellibed as much as we do. Please let us know!