Nothing says summer in Colorado like a perfectly ripe, juicy peach. Clearly, we are not the only ones who believe so. We arrived at the Farmers Market on Saturday at 8:10 AM and were about 40th in line for a case of peaches—and we got the very last one!
When peaches are perfect, they are so versatile it seems like there is nothing they can’t do!
This summer we pulled out an old recipe for a Dutch Baby and updated it for our taste buds and dietary needs.
You are probably wondering, “What is a Dutch Baby?”
A Dutch Baby is basically a large, fluffy family-sized pancake that is baked in the oven in a heated skillet.
To me, the consistency is like a cross between a crepe and a popover—although it is typically referred to as a pancake—and it is often served for breakfast or brunch. The cooked edges are beautifully crisp, while the interior has a slightly gooey texture.
While most recipes I’ve seen add fruit or other toppings after cooking, we place ripe, juicy peaches right onto the batter to give them time in the oven to warm, soften and ooze their sweetness.
Each skillet will serve 2-3 people, so we always double this recipe and make two skillets. It takes only a few minutes to put together—and, in our family, even less time to eat 😊
Peachy Dutch Pancake
3 large eggs
¾ cup milkadamia or other plant-milk
1½ Tbsp. agave nectar
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp sea salt
½ cup Bob’s Red Mill GF 1 to 1 baking flour
1 heaping Tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- Place a heavy 12-inch oven proof or cast-iron skillet in oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- To make the batter, in a high-speed blender, add the eggs, milk, agave, vanilla extract, sea salt and flour and blend until smooth.
- Once the oven is preheated, carefully remove the heated skillet and add the coconut oil. Wearing an oven mitt, turn the skillet so the oil coats the entire pan.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet and gently arrange the peach slices around all over the top.
- Return the skillet to oven and bake for 17-19 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.