Last summer was the “summer of the popsicle” at our home because we made so many healthy, yummy versions (such as these and these). As soon as the weather began to warm up this Spring, we pulled out the ice cream machine that I have had for ten years…but haven’t used in almost as many.
Making homemade ice cream is just plain fun! The kids loved to help and it’s as easy as making a smoothie. Seriously! You simply blend together your ice cream ingredients (just like making a smoothie) and then allow them to churn through your ice cream maker for about 15 or so minutes. That’s it!
Here’s one of our first creations with ingredients so healthy you might ask, “Is it okay to eat ice cream for breakfast?” Not that I personally ever asked that question… 😉
Peanut Butter, Banana & Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
by Debbie Steinbock
2 cups banana pieces (from approximately 3 ripe bananas)
1 cup unsweetened creamy peanut butter
1 (14 oz.) can of full fat coconut milk
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp xanthan gum
½ cup chocolate chips
- Place all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a Vitamix or high speed blender.
- Add to your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add the chocolate chips in the last 5 minutes of churning.
- Store ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Place on your kitchen counter and allow the ice cream to thaw for 15-20 minutes before serving.