Many of you have asked us about the supplements that we are personally taking these days. We wanted to share a list of some of the products and practices that we have researched and implemented.
If any of these interest you, please discuss them with your own health provider.
In this post we will address the following:
- Foundational supplements
- 1st tier immune support supplements
- 2nd tier immune support supplements
- Lifestyle tips for illness prevention
- At-home testing & monitoring
- Additional treatments to evaluate
- These are the four supplements we always start with to ensure that all nutritional needs are being met. See this blog post for more information and to shop the Foundational Four Kits for adults and children of all ages.
- For many young children, the foundational four supplements are the only ones needed.
1st Tier Immune Support Supplements
These supplements may be added daily during cold and flu season for additional immune support.
- Vitamin D (already included in the Foundational Four)
- Adults: 2000-5000 i.u. daily
- Children: 1000-2000 i.u. daily
>> See this meta-analysis on Vitamin D and COVID-19
- Vitamin C
- Adults: 500-1000 mg, twice daily
- Children: 6 months – 1 year: 100 mg twice daily | 2 – 3 years: 200 mg twice daily | 4-6 years: 300 mg twice daily |7-11 years: 500 mg twice daily |12 years & older: 1000 mg twice daily
- Adults: 250 mg daily
- Children: 100 mg daily (chewable D Hist Jr has Quercetin plus additional respiratory support)
>> See this study on Vitamin C and Quercetin for COVID-19
- Adults: 30 mg daily with food
- Children: 6 months – 1 year 10 mg | 2-5 years 20 mg | 6 years and older 30 mg once daily with food
- Adults: 3-5 mg nightly before bed
- Children: 6 years and older 1-2 mg nightly before bed
- Xlear Nasal Spray
- 1-2 sprays in each nostril daily
>> See this study on the use of Xlear for COVID-19
2nd Tier Immune Support Supplements
These supplements may be added daily (for up to 2-weeks) during early infection or times of higher risk, such as travel or gatherings.
- Double the doses of the 1st Tier Immune Supplements and then consider adding the following:
- Adult: 500 mg, twice daily
- Children: 1-3 years: 50 mg twice daily | 4-6 years: 100 mg twice daily |7-11 years 150 mg twice daily |12 years & older: 250 mg twice daily
- Nigella Sativa/Black Seed Oil: 18 mg per pound daily
- For example, 900 mg for 50 lbs.; 1,800 mg for 100 lbs.; 2,700 mg for 150 lbs.
- Honey: 1-2 Tbsp. per day
- Children under the age of 1 year should avoid honey
Thank you for your support of our work!
LIFESTYLE TIPS FOR ILLNESS PREVENTION
- Air Purification. The Air Doctor air purifier has been studied and removes 99.97% of the COVID-19 virus (SARS-CoV-2) from the air. It also removes 99.99% of a test group of 11 bacteria and viruses, including swine flu (H1N1), enterovirus (EV71) and E. coli. We own several units for our home and office. See our blog post for more information and to get the best pricing.
- Keep your mucous membranes healthy by investing in a humidifier or vaporizer.
- Hand washing for more than 20 seconds with soap and water—before every meal and more often for children who still put their hands in their mouths. Also, wash hands upon returning home from school, errands, and other activities outside the house.
- Hand sanitizer when out of the house. Sanitizer needs to have more than 60% alcohol to be effective.
- Clean surfaces. Some viruses can hang out and wait for you for 2 or more weeks! This is often overlooked. Some recommendations would be Force of Nature, Seventh Generation Disinfecting Multi-Surface Cleaner, Cavicide, Clorox Wipes, Rubbing Alcohol, etc.
- Thieves oil. We gargle with Thieves oil and use it on our bodies (glands/lymph nodes in neck, soles of feet) during cold & flu season. You can read Debbie’s Flu Post for more information and learn about the fascinating history of how Thieves oil got its name during the Bubonic Plague.
- Eucalyptus oil. Consider the many uses of eucalyptus oil, such as a eucalyptus steam for the lungs. See this article for more information.
- Minimize travel and high-risk activities. Examples include visiting crowded places such as the children’s museum, indoor play areas, or gym childcare. If you do travel, please see our tips for Airplane Travel.
- Keep your kids home if they are sick. That also means you should stay home if you are ill!
- Nutrition. A good whole foods diet is crucial. Eat a well-rounded, nutrient-dense diet. Decrease sugar and processed foods. Visit our blog for simple recipes. If you feel you need help with this, book a session with Debbie to help you get your family on track.
- Keep your family well rested. It’s amazing how powerful sleep is! Give your body proper rest, especially at the first signs of feeling run down.
- Stay Hydrated. Aim to drink half your body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water each day. Staying sufficiently hydrated helps detoxify and flush out toxins from our body, ensures healthy respiratory, digestive and immune function, and maintains good energy levels.
- Move your body. Exercise is one of the most important things you can do for your health. Find an activity that gets you breathing harder and your heart beating faster.
AT HOME TESTING & MONITORING FOR COVID
Always consult with your Medical Doctor if your symptoms are severe and require medical intervention.
- BinaxNOW rapid home test kits (see their step-by-step use guide)
- PCR testing is generally considered more accurate
- Zacurate Pro Series Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- Monitor for trends
- Should be above 90% at altitude and >95% at sea level
ADDITIONAL TREATMENTS TO EVALUATE
- Much of the supplement information listed above is based on the expertise of the FLCCC Alliance. See their Prevention & Early Outpatient Treatment Protocol for COVID-19, which also includes information on promising medications.