Listen to the Watercure audio instructional (14 minutes):
Read the Watercure instructions:
We personally started the Watercure the summer of 2015 at the recommendation of our friend and mentor, Russell Mariani, and then read the book, Your Body’s Many Cries for Water, by F. Batmanghelidj M.D. (Dr. B), from which the Watercure is based.
Here is a summary of the steps, as outlined by Russell himself:
- The water you drink must be free of all impurities. (*Water filtered through a solid carbon block filter or reverse osmosis is best.)
- The water you drink must be warm. Not hot, not cold, warm. The best temperature varies from person to person based on body type, metabolism and current state of health. Room temperature may be too cool because water, standing alone, will always return to its original temperature. For most people starting out, and for all people with an inflammatory condition, body temperature (98.6 degrees) water is best.
- The water you drink must contain salt. Sea salt is best. Celtic sea salt is the best sea salt. I use and recommend the Light Grey Salt. One quarter teaspoon (1/4 tsp) of salt per one quart (32 ounces) of drinking water. There is some difference of opinion about whether to add the salt to the water or not. I was taught directly by Dr. B himself to add the salt to the water. I have been doing it this way and teaching it this way for almost 20 years. The reason for adding the salt to your water is to aid the process of absorption and assimilation of the water molecules into your blood and into your cells. The presence of the salt also has an alkalinizing effect which is conducive to the natural healing process. If you cannot handle the taste of one quarter of a teaspoon of salt per quart of water, don’t worry. Just start with a smaller amount. Then just build up gradually over days and weeks. Experiment and discover what works best for you. Most people have some difficulty when first drinking intentionally salted water. These same people also report that they prefer the salted water once they get used to it and once they experience the profound benefits of proper daily hydration.
- Drink your salted water throughout the entire day. Sip your water. Don’t drink 6-8oz at a time. Drink 2-4 oz at a time. A mouthful of water typically measures 2-4 ounces. Go slowly. Sip water throughout the day. Be gentle. Do not drink too fast or drink too much at any one time. Space it out evenly throughout the day.
- Drink at least 16oz of warm salted water within the first hour of waking up each day. Wake up within an hour of sunrise if at all possible. Our body co-exists in a natural symbiotic relationship with the seasons and the tides and the rising and setting of the sun. Natural healing co-exists in harmony with the forces at work in the natural world. These same forces are at work inside our bodies. Each morning our body is the most dehydrated, the most acidic and the most toxic it is usually going to be in every 24 hour cycle. This habit of starting each day by consuming 16oz of salted water within the first hour of waking up is a very important key to getting and maintaining the very best results possible from the watercure. If you weigh less than 150 pounds, then you can start your day with 12 ounces of salted water. (Yes, children too.) Use common sense. If this seems like too much for you, start with a smaller amount and build up to compliance levels gradually.
- The amount of urine you eliminate should be equal to the amount of water you drink each day. It may take several days but not usually more than several weeks to see this balance happening with your body. You’ve never measured your outflow of urine? Neither had I. Join the club. Hey, we get to do all kinds of fun, strange and curious things in the name of natural healing. The color of the first morning urine can be moderately yellow, but the rest of the urine should be very light yellow to almost clear like the color of lite beer. Dark yellow to orange colored urine is a sure-sign of dehydration and possible kidney stagnation which is not good.
- You must consume half your body weight in ounces of water per day, each and every day to recover from the symptoms of long term, chronic, unintentional dehydration and to prevent it from happening again. Read that rather long sentence again and then several times after that, for it represents the most important part of the watercure recipe. You must consume the right quality water and you must consume the right amount or quantity of water. I have never been one for “set prescriptions” especially when it comes to our food and beverage intake. Set prescriptions are usually reserved for drugs, not for habits in the world of natural healing. However, there are always exceptions to the rules and this is absolutely one of those exceptional rules. If you exercise and sweat profusely you will need to drink more water. For every hour of vigorous activity and sweating you may need as much as 16-24oz more. If you drink alcohol or coffee or tea or take any diuretics, you may need to drink more water.
Please do not underestimate the importance of being consistent with the correct amount of water you need to drink each day. Water and salt in combination promote and restore proper hydration levels within the cells and systems of the body. Proper daily hydration is the most significant biomodulating and homeostatic influence inside the human body. When the body is properly and consistently hydrated, everything else functions better. Your body loses 32 ounces of water each day just from breathing and sleeping and sitting around! If you exert yourself vigorously and sweat profusely, you will need to be very careful to restore proper hydration levels and then maintain proper hydration levels. Half your body weight in ounces of water is therefore, the absolute minimum of water you need each day. But don’t over-hydrate yourself either. Find the balance. Find the right amount of water for you given your unique circumstances and conditions and all will be well.